Book Review: James Clavell's King Rat

I read James Clavell's King Rat when I was twelve.

King Rat is a story about Western prisoners surviving a Japanese war camp during WW2 in Changi, Singapore. The book centers upon a particularly ruthless American corporal who is a successful trader and black marketeer.

I can neither confirm nor deny whether this book influenced my portrayal of individual characters in Firm Resolve. After all, I was only a child when I read it. Instead, I will say that Clavell had a solid grasp of human nature, survival, and capitalism. And it was hard not to overlook his more profound messages.

One of my favorite parts, which struck me as satirical, was when one of the military leaders practically cried as he recounted the way the Sikhs had rebelled against Britain and struck an allegiance with the Japanese. I found this humorous and thought By the 1940s who hadn't rebelled against your government? 



#Clavell #King Rat #Asian Saga #Asia #Changi #Prison #POW #WorldWar2 #Japanese #Western #1940s #Capitalism #Survival #Rat #Trader #Human Nature #BritishWriters #BritishLit #Satire #BritishHumor #DryWit
  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ask Licia

Scheherazade of 1001 Arabian Nights

The Space Where You Were by Nina Denison